Roasting Hen Recipes:
Mediterranean Stewed Hen and Vegetables:
- 1 stewing hen (or regular whole chicken)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons grassfed butter, ghee, or other cooking fat
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly (reserve fronds for garnish)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots
- ⅓ cup kalamata or black olives
- zest from 1 orange
- OPTIONAL - ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place hen/chicken in large stock pot and cover with water. Add bay leaves, peppercorns, and onion.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to medium-low and simmer for 1½ to 2 hours, or until meat is beginning to pull away from bone.
- Remove hen/chicken. When it is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and shred (be sure to save bones and skin for future bone broth making). Set aside.
- Reserve 7 cups of the broth to return to the stew later. Save the remainder for another use.
- In now empty stock pot, melt cooking fat and saute fennel, carrots, and mushrooms with salt to taste for 3-5 minutes or until slightly softened and aromatic. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add chicken and 7 cups of broth. Bring to simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add olives, orange zest, and optional cream just prior to serving. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with chopped fennel frond for garnish.
Slow Cooker Greek Roasting Hen:
1 1/2 tsp of Salt
2 tsp dried Thyme
2 tsp dried Oregano
1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 cup of white wine
1/4 cup of orange juice
In a small bowl combine salt, pepper, oregano, fennel and thyme
Dry off the Roastin Hen with paper towels and sprinkle the spice mixture over the bird and in the cavity
Place 2 slices of lemon in the cavity
Place Roasting Hen in the slow cooker and put the rest of the lemon slicecd in
Pour the wine and oraneg juice around the sides of the bird
Cook on low for 4 hours, then place the bird on a board covered with foil for 5 minutes to rest.